Embedding MediaSpace Videos
Kaltura MediaSpace is a wonderful video portal, but linking to MediaSpace videos from LodeStar can be a little tricky.
The simplest — but not the most effective — way is to take the embed code that MediaSpace offers and paste it into LodeStar using the following tool in the LodeStar’s HTML editor.
This tool, located on the toolbar of the LodeStar HTML editor allows you to paste in an embed code that displays the video on the page.
The downside to this simple approach is that the video will not pause when the student turns the page.
The better approach requires a few steps. You’ll pull out your hair the first time, and find it second nature the second time.
Linking LodeStar’s Video Player with MediaSpace videos
The following steps apply only to mp4 files, which (at the time of this writing) is the only truly cross-browser video format.
- Launch MediaSpace, and locate your video file.
- In MediaSpace, select ‘Publish’ from the Actions drop down menu. Publish your video or make it Unlisted.
- At the bottom of your screen, click on the ‘Share’ button and display the embed code.
Here is a snippet from an example:
<iframe id=”kaltura_player” src=”https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/812561/sp/81256100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/33140371/partner_id/812561?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player&entry_id=0_ugv87vgr&flashvars[mediaProtocol]=rtmp&….
Notice that two codes are bolded and underlined. They represent the two pieces of information that you need: the partner ID, and the entry ID.
2. Launch Kaltura’s kWidget from the link below.
You will see the following widget at the bottom of the page:
3. Enter the partner ID from the embed code in the partner id field and enter in the entry ID in the entry ID field. Click on get sources.
4. You will see the following heading, followed by video sources, the true addresses of the videos.
Notice the second source with the video src that ends with a.mp4
You’ll want to copy the address into your clipboard beginning with http:// and ending with .mp4
5. Open your LodeStar ActivityMaker, ActivityMaker Mobile, or ARMaker project or any template that is derived from ActivityMaker like PBLMaker or WebQuestMaker.
6. Add a Video Page (not Video Scenario).
7. Paste in the video source (src) in the top field, as pictured below
8. Preview your project to ensure that the video is properly linked.